Nicholas Lowthorpe

Helping people expertly visualise their data

From 300 to 18,379 LinkedIn followers in 12 months - tips

Hey guys,

I spent the last 12 months building my following on LinkedIn, and it's where I've been promoting my gumroad product. I wanted to share my brief strategy for how I grew my following (and how I've helped others do the same):

First steps:

1. Β Get your LinkedIn profile and headline set up. Your headline should be super specific about the value you're providing (e.g mine is: "Teaching data professionals how to visualise data with effective charts that tell stories")
  2. Focus your content and engaging around that niche.Β 

With <1000 connections:

1. Identify people in your niche who could be your target customer, and send personalised connection requests - this is your outbound strategy. Note: you're capped at 100 outbound requests/week. You're targeting people who you'd want to see your content in their feed, and it resonate with them.
  2. Identify accounts with 10k+ followers who regularly post content in the same niche as you. Engage with their content regularly. Set up camp in the comments of their posts with your own perspectives on their content, to establish your authority. You can get a lot of views on your profile this way - this is your inbound strategy (people connecting with you).
  3. Post once a day, 3-5x a week. Don't worry about posting more than once per 24h. It may be slow going at first with little engagement. Steps 1 and 2 will generate your most growth to begin with, and is where you should spend about 80% of your time on LinkedIn.
1000 - 5000 connections

1. Outbound connecting in mass starts to becomes unscalable. You might find yourself doing this less.
  2. Keep on commenting. If you can get a thoughtful comment in early on another big account's viral post you can grab a ton of views (and followers). It's your opportunity to showcae your expertise - don't squander it with a thoughtless throwaway comment.
  3. Keep on posting. Same time every day, so people know when to expect your content (you can use Buffer for free to schedule posts). You may find yourself getting more followers through your own content, but commenting and engaging with other big creators is likely still your biggest follower generator.
5000+

1. Here's where you've accumulated enough 'critical mass' for your posts to start generating their own significant following. I do constantly engage with other accounts in my niche, but I stopped outbound connections aside from with specific people at this point.Β 
General tips:

1. On text posts you get 5 lines before the 'see more' button. Use this to your advantage - the first 5 lines should be a scroll-stopping hook that, with the value coming after they've clicked 'see more' (3 lines for a text/video/document post).
  2. Posting something new tends to stunt the growth of your past post, hence the focus on posting no more than once/twice a day. Posts on LinkedIn tend to live in the feed for a few days. It's not unusual on a Monday for me to still be getting comments/reactions on posts made the Monday before.
  3. Quality of followers > quantity of followers. Is my 18k much less than what some LI accounts have grown in 1 year? Sure. But that's 18k followers who are mostly directly in my target customer group/niche and tune in to my posts/buy my product/engage with my content. Keep targeted and resist the urge to try to have 'broad appeal' with generic feel-good content.
This was a bit off-the-cuff, but if I haven't explained anything particularly well feel free to ask questions and I'm happy to help.

Growth on LinkedIn has landed me tons of opportunities (new jobs, podcast appearances, speaking opportunities, webinars, guest lectures). I launched my course on there and had a great response. Strongly recommend checking LinkedIn out if you already aren't.

P.S - If you want to be an affiliate (50% commission) on my data visualisation course, check it out and see if it's a good fit at: https://5cs-system.com (affiliate link at: https://nicholaslowthorpe.gumroad.com/affiliates). It's had great reviews and feedback so far!
Like Comment

Strong presales, then crickets. Anyone have any stories of overcoming this?

Hey guys, I'm a first-time creator. I'd love to hear if you have any stories about launching strong but then trailing off with sales once released.

I launched my course at the end of July with a 10 day presale period and some really promising sales with presale discount: Β£25 instead of Β£40. Since launching, sales have fallen off almost completely except for one or two here and there.

I've been promoting and marketing this almost exclusively via LinkedIn (18k followers) and my mailing list (600-ish subs). So I figure the issues I have are either one or some (or all!) of these:

1. Β I've saturated my existing following (ie. I've made all of the sales of people who ever intended to buy my product from current followers).
  2. Need to expand onto new platforms (there's a strong community for my niche on Twitter, looking into growing on there).
  3. My landing page copy isn't doing a good job at converting (https://5cs-system.com)
  4. My product is priced too high.
  5. Something I'm not considering!
I'm not sure if this is a salvageable situation, but I'd love to hear any stories of those of you who have turned their products around!
Like Comment

Introducing the "5Cs Data Visualisation System"

I've been working on my first product that launches tomorrow. It's a course teaching the design principles and psychology behind effective graphs and charts (think the visual equivalent of copywriting).

Having never built a course before, I've ended up putting much more time into this than I intended - thanks to scope creep and adding things in! I think for my next product, I need to restrain myself and plan better.

If you have to make graphs or charts for any purpose, check it out: https://nicholaslowthorpe.gumroad.com/l/5csystem/launch25?_ga=2.250475782.1612998404.1626963756-163162754.1626963756
Like Comment

Hey from a data communication geek

Hey everyone, I'm new to Gumroad. I'm a data scientist and data communication expert by background and I've built my first product, going live tomorrow.

It's a course aimed at people who need to produce graphs & charts for work. It teaches design principles, design psychology and a system for applying them to visualise data impactfully. Think the visual equivalent of copywriting.

I've been reading through the intros and there are so many people here doing amazing things - inspiring stuff!

If anyone wants to check the product out, it's at: https://nicholaslowthorpe.gumroad.com/l/5csystem/launch25?_ga=2.250475782.1612998404.1626963756-163162754.1626963756
Like Comment